Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Realistic Love in an Unrealistic World


     With Saga being as colossal as it is, I really had to narrow down my options for a subject on this blog post. There are so many elements that make Saga a phenomenally written and organized graphic novel, but I chose to focus on the very realistic love between Alana and Marko. This story and most of its characters are very out of norm, but their love is something that I can relate to. The interaction between these two very different people is unmistakingly the most authentic portrayal of a real life relationship that I have ever seen. They show each other love, they take jabs at each other, they show an obviously healthy sexual appetite for each other, and they mutually take care of their daughter Hazel which is the status quo for what I know relationships are. It is not sappy romance (thank God). It is real and sincere, but it has various species of people. 


 
 The most prominent tool that fashions Saga into a beautiful work of literature is the undeniable love between Alana and Marko. I chose to display the panel to the left because of the embrace that is taking place and the look on Alana's face. Both of these actions are shared between two people who are irrecoverably in love. Those two words that escape Marko's lips in the first scene of the panel show the monumental importance of his family to him. One can only hope to find a man that is not perfect, but has his priorities in the right place.
 
 
 
The first scene in the panel to the right is a dream to gaze upon. Every person, not just women, wants to feel a sincere romantic love from another person. Some people never find the love they want or need, but there are certain scenes between Alana and Marko that make me envy what they have. The expressions of love in the scene on the right of the panel solidify the strong foundation that they have. Having someone who has your back in the good times and in the bad times is a priceless possession. 
 
 
 
I chose to use this scene to support the fact that their love is realistice, because it shows two lovers going into battle with possibly different methods, but they both share the same goal. There is no better feeling on Earth than working together with someone you love to accomplish a common goal. These two are fighting to protect their family, and there is nothing in existence that could stop them. As individuals there is a chance for failure, but together they are an unstoppable force.



 

 
 
 The playful jabs between these lovers is also a reason I believe this to be an accurate illustration of a genuine love between two people. The scene above to the left shows Marko's discomfort with spiders, and Alana's questioning of his manhood in response to it. I love that she's comfortable enough with him to be making fun of him. Real couples go back and forth with playful banter, and they are no exception. The scene above and to the right shows Alana taking another jab at Marko. I appreciate the jabs that she delivers, because I am almost identical in my relationship.
 
 
 

        Lastly, I chose to display the panel to the left to show the obviously healthy sex life that they share. Marko is taking charge in this panel and showing Alana that he needs it, and she responds mutually from the look on her face. The sexual chemistry and fire between these two is blantant and inspiring.


           In conclusion, the recurring theme that stood out to me in the unique, graphic novel Saga is the realistic love between Alana and Marko. They express their love for one another, they tease each other, and, as an added bonus, they share a great sexual attraction. A relationship that incorporates all three of these elements, without even mentioning their mutual love for their child, is a recipe for success.

No comments:

Post a Comment